Fine Contemporary Art Glass
Timothy Stover is a sculptor currently exploring the medium of glass. Born in Bucyrus, Ohio, he spent much of his younger years drawing and tinkering in his father’s woodshop. This independent exploration and art practice emboldened his creativity. In 2001, Stover pursued his love of art at the University of Toledo, graduating with a B.F.A. in Sculpture. There, he focused on bronze casting and metal fabrication. It was while in his fourth year that he met a local sculptor, Jack Schmidt. Schmidt hired Tim to work for him as a fabricator and spent the following five years as his assistant. It was only while working with Jack, that Stover discovered his passion for art glass.
It was glass that led Tim to a position at the Toledo Museum of Art Glass Pavilion. During its first five inaugural years, he worked with numerous artists picking up techniques and tricks to further his passion. After years of working for other artists, in order to concentrate on his own art, he returned to academia.
Pursuing a concentration in glass, he received an M.F.A. from Kent State University. It was throughout this time that he began traveling and taking workshops around the United States. Stover received scholarships to study at the Pilchuck Glass School and the Corning Museum of Glass, both of which he later returned to as a teaching assistant. While at Pilchuck, he was introduced to a method of laminating glass that changed the way he approached his art. The tedious and time consuming process of gluing glass together, grinding, and polishing it into new shapes mixed well with the dedication and attention to detail inherent in his sculptural practices.
His work has been exhibited nationally in numerous group shows and invitationals. He has also shown in the Stanislav Libensky Awards Exhibition in Prague.
Tim’s recent solo show at the Toledo School for the Arts explored his desire to reassemble broken sections of glass into new work; thereby, giving life to fragments that most deemed irrelevant. Today he concentrates on using colored adhesives to achieve dazzling effects inside his sculptures. He currently lives and works in Toledo, Ohio. There, he teaches at the University of Toledo and serves as the casting instructor for the Toledo Museum of Art.
M.F.A., Glass 2013
Kent State University, OH
B.F.A., Sculpture 2006 University of Toledo, OH
- Cold Construction, Martin Rosol and Pavel Novak, CorningMuseum of Glass, NY: 2015.
- Free Geometry!, György Gáspár, Pilchuck Glass School, WA:2012.
- Kent Blossom Art, Susan Taylor Glasgow, Kent State University,OH: 2012.
- Kent Blossom Art, Sam Stang, Kent State University, OH: 2012.
- Cold Cuts, František Janák, Pittsburg Glass Center, PA: 2010.
- Using Light as a Sculptural Element in Glass, Joel O’Dorisio,Corning Museum of Glass, NY: 2008.Academic Experience:
- Visiting Artist: Kent State University, OH: April 2016.
- Adjunct Professor: Tiffin University, OH: 2014 – Present.2-D Foundations
- Instructor: Toledo Museum of Art, OH: 2014 – Present.Glass Casting, Cold Work, Lamination
- Teaching Assistant: György Gáspár and Zsuzsanna Kóródi,Pilchuck Glass School, WA: 2015. Lamination and Cold Work
- Teaching Assistant: Charlyn Reynolds, Toledo Museum of Art,OH: 2014. Pate de Verre.
- Teaching Assistant: Steve Cothern, Toledo Museum of Art, OH:2014. Glass Casting
- Graduate Teaching Assistant: Kent State University, OH: 2011 -2013. Introduction to Glassmaking
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (CONT.)
• Teaching Assistant: Nadine Saylor, Corning Museum of Glass, NY: 2011. Intermediate Glass Blowing
- Studio Manager, Schmidt Messenger Studios, Toledo, OH:2014 – Present
- Fab Assistant / Art Handler, Displays Fine Art Services, Arlington, TX: 2013-2014.
- Assistant, Carlyn Ray Designs, Dallas, TX: 2013.
- Head Technician, School of Art, Kent State University, OH:2011 – 2012.
- Assistant, Jack A. Schmidt and Shawn Messenger, Schmidt Messenger Studios, Toledo, OH: 2005 – 2010.
- Studio Technician, Glass Pavilion, Toledo Museum of Art, OH: 2006 – 2010.
- Coldworker, Jeff Mack, Toledo, OH: 2009 – 2010.
- Lab Technician, Center for Sculptural Studies, University ofToledo, OH: 2002 – 2006.
- Internship, Thomas Lingeman, Toledo, OH: 2005.
- Build Team, Governor James A. Rhodes Memorial Statue,Government Building, Toledo, OH: 2004. Solo Exhibitions:
- Reconnections, Toledo School for the Arts, OH: 2014.
- Reconnections: Master’s Thesis Exhibition, Kent State UniversityMain Gallery, OH: 2013.Selected Exhibitions:
2015: Michigan Regional Glass Exhibition, Janice Charach Gallery,
2014: Taos Art Glass Invitational, The Grand Bohemian Gallery, Taos,
- Gathering: Contemporary Glass from the Heartland, 924 Gallery / Arts Council of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN.
- Out of Town, Contemporary Glass Society, Online, United Kingdom.
- Materials: Hard & Soft, Greater Denton Arts Council, Denton, TX.
2013: Gathering: Contemporary Glass from the Heartland, Indiana University Kokomo Art Gallery, Kokomo, IN.
EXHIBITION RECORD (CONT)
• Stanislav Libensky Award, Prague Gallery of Czech Glass, Prague, Czech Republic.
• Kent State Biennial Student Exhibition, Kent State Main Gallery, Kent, OH
2011: Cutting Edge Glass Exhibition, JRB Art at the Elms, Oklahoma City, OK.
• Kent State Biennial Student Exhibition, Kent State Main Gallery, Kent, OH.
2010: Blast: Seven Emerging Artists Working In Glass, Millworks Gallery, Akron, OH.
2009: Invitational Alumni Exhibition, UT Center for the Visual Arts, Toledo, OH.
• VMRC Juried Art Exhibition, Park Gables Gallery, VMRC, Harrisonburg, VA.
2008: 90th Annual Toledo Area Artists Exhibition, Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, OH.
2007: Small Yet Mighty, 7th Annual Sculpture in the Garden Show, Schedel Arboretum & Gardens, Elmore, OH.
• 89th Annual Toledo Area Artists Exhibition, Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, OH.
2006: A Motley Affair, Space 237, Toledo, OH.
• Bachelor’s of Fine Arts Exhibition, CVA Gallery, University of
• Books, Boxes, and Cubes, The Lake Erie Research Center,
• Hard n’ Heavy Iron and Steel National Invitational, Bemidji Community Arts Council, MN.
2005: Biennial Student Exhibition, CVA Gallery, University of Toledo, OH.
2004: Abridged, The Lake Erie Research Center, Oregon, OH.
2015: Half Scholarship at Corning Museum of Glass 2012: Half Scholarship at Pilchuck Glass School 2011: Full Scholarship at the Pittsburgh Glass Center
• Honorable Mention, Kent State University Student Biennial Exhibition.
2010: Graduate Assistantship, Kent State University
2008: Half Scholarship at Corning Museum of Glass
2005: Juror’s Award, 2005 Biennial Student Exhibition, Toledo, OH.
• 1st Place, 2005 Biennial Student Exhibition, Toledo, OH.
• W. Sinclair Wallbridge Scholarship, University of Toledo.