It was the artistic family where he grew up that gave Steve his first inspirations. As a young boy Steve was fascinated with the pen and ink drawings of Saul Steinberg as depicted in issues of the New Yorker magazine. He would create his own renderings and spent hours drawing and making up cartoon images with captions. Later, after college he discovered his love for traveling. He has traveled extensively throughout the world including India, the Mediterranean countries, Africa and the South Pacific.
The many countries, cultures and colors fueled his artistic vision. He started to paint in watercolor after discovering the work of Winslow Homer and John Singer Sargent.
Steve’s art is part of many private and corporate collections throughout the United States and Italy, including the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, the Museum of America and the Sea, Mystic Seaport, Mystic, CT., the Coast Guard Art Program (COGAP), The Heritage Asset Collection at the Coast Guard Academy, New London, CT. ,the Noble Maritime Museum, Staten Is., NY., and the Customs House Maritime Museum, Newburyport, MA.
National and International Exhibitions:
- 145th, 148th and the 149th Annual International Exhibitions of the American Watercolor Society, 2012, 2015 and 2016, Salmagundi Club, NYC
- Transparent Watercolor Society of America National Exhibitions 2010, 2013 and 2017 in Kenosha, WI.
- Watercolor U.S.A. 2010 and 2013, Springfield Museum of Art, Springfield, MO.
- 29th and 31st Annual Adirondack National Exhibition of American Watercolors 2010 and 2012, Old Forge, N.Y.
- 29th, 33rd, 34th, 35th, 36th, 37th, 38th and 39th Annual International Maritime Art Exhibitions, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Mystic Seaport, Mystic, CT.
- American Society of Marine Artists Regional Exhibitions 2008, 2009 and 2010
- 17th,18th and 19th Annual Maritime Art Exhibition 2010, 2011 and 2012 Coos Art Museum, Coos Bay, OR
- Water Views: XXI Century Landscape Watercolorists, invitational exhibition at the Artsbox Cultural Center, Contra San Paolo 23, Vicenza, Asiago, Andria and Milan Italy, April 12, 2014 to June 30, 2015.